Dependency and neglect cases are opened when a county department of human services (DHS) is concerned about the welfare of your child(ren) and either removed them from your home, or wants to be able to supervise your children in your home. Having a child taken away from you can be the most traumatic experience in a parent’s life. Sometimes children are wrongly separated from a parent because of false allegations or overzealous and unreasonable social workers. Our firm is here to defend parents against the power of the County/City.
A dependency and neglect (D&N) case is a civil action brought by a county department of human/social services (Department) and concerns whether a child is abused or neglected. The parent(s) of the child are known as Respondents or Respondent Parents. In addition the Court must appoint a guardian ad litem (GAL) to represent the best interests of the child throughout the proceedings.
Respondent Parent Counsel
This is the parent’s lawyer. As a parent, a dependency and neglect case may lead to the termination of your parental rights, so it is important for you to get a lawyer. The court process is complicated; a lawyer will advocate for your rights at every stage of D&N proceedings. If you retain us to assist you in your case, we will defend and advocate for you through the process, as well as collaborate with the other parties including the County/City and Department of Human Services.
When is a child considered dependent or neglected?
A child is considered to be dependent or neglected when any of these can be found by the judge or a jury to be true:
• A parent or guardian abandons, mistreats, or abuses the child.
• A parent or guardian allows another person to mistreat or abuse the child or does not take steps to stop the abuse or prevent it from happening again.
• The child lacks proper care through the actions or inactions of the parent or guardian.
• The child’s environment is unsafe.
• The Parent or guardian does not provide the child with necessary education or medical care.
• The child is homeless or without care through no fault of the parent or guardian.
• The child has run away, from home or is beyond the control of the parent or guardian.
D&N cases are very serious. They can result in the termination of your parental rights.
The team at Muhaisen & Muhaisen, LLC have handled countless legal disputes and custody battles involving the Department of Human Services, including those that involve allegations of abuse and child neglect in Colorado.
We are extremely knowledgeable about the applicable laws regarding child abuse and dependency and neglect cases. We also have fought hard to prevent children being relocated in cases involving fabricated and false claims of child abuse.
If you are a parent that is being contacted by Human Services or law enforcement about your children, or if you have a current Dependency and Neglect Case, contact Muhaisen & Muhaisen, LLC immediately at 303-872-0084 or use the Contact Form.